I decided to try making a deodorant that was not only natural and made in a plastic-free container but has baking soda as an active ingredient instead of the bentonite clay recipe which made my solid deodorant a darker green colour in part one of my recent adventures in making homemade deodorant.
Here is a very fast and simple recipe, it took me less than an hour to make these fragrant natural deodorants in my new favourite cardboard push up tubes.
Lavender Shea Butter Coconut oil Baking Soda Deodorant Bar- that’s a mouthful!
- 24 grams beeswax- I use unbleached yellow beeswax beads because they are very easy to weigh and melt quickly
- 16 grams unprocessed shea butter- this is just what I had on hand, I find it adds a nice gentle moisturizing element
- 60 grams solid coconut oil – also good for gentle slip and has antibacterial qualities
- 20 grams arrowroot powder- to absorb moisture
- 32 grams baking soda- to neutralize body odor- the main reason we are all using deodorant isn’t it?
- 4 grams essential oil- today I used good ol Lavender because who doesn’t love lavender pits?
Melt your beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler or in small increments in the microwave, stirring often… remember to be careful with beeswax as it can be flammable. Slowly stir in your shea butter after the beeswax is melted. Briskly stir in your baking soda and arrowroot powder and then thoroughly stir in your essential oils. Pour your still liquid concoction into your tubes and let set. That’s it. You’re done. How easy was that?
In this case, I carefully followed the instructions for using these cardboard tubes. I waited until the melted oils were not too hot before I poured them out in small increments. I have had no problems with leakage at all- only a bit of staining, but I also was not being too careful with my pouring method. These glide on easily and smell amazing. The push-up bottoms work well. I am completely converted and will never have a plastic deodorant tube in my home again. Hoorah!
Good luck and make yourself some all natural great smelling deodorant.
You deserve it!
Below is the cardboard tube instructions